It can be difficult for small organisations when staff members fall ill with a serious condition. As well as being worried for their health, your business might also feel the pressure of losing a team member while they recover, or be uncertain about how the employee will continue in their role.
The Federation of Small Businesses and the Self Employeds (FSB) offers free access to a personal nurse adviser, an experienced Registered Mental or General Nurse for its members, which can help your staff to get advice and reassurance quickly. Staff are able to call the nurse when they need their services, and arrange further calls, a one-off home visit, or therapy.
The dedicated nurse will provide practical advice and emotional support with any long-term health condition, disability or if you are bereaved. The same nurse will keep in touch with you regularly and when appropriate will provide:
- Help in navigating the NHS and other health related services,
- Literature and resources related to the health condition,
- Signposting to charities and local support groups,
- Research on behalf of the patient to help understand treatment options,
- A course of face-to-face therapy, counselling, second medical opinion, or practical help at home,
- Or simply just a listening ear.
This website explains the benefits of the care programme both as text and as a video.