Creating mentally healthy legal workplaces
The legal profession has unique challenges for staff wellbeing. Poor mental health is a risk not just for individuals but for companies, as it can lead to worse outcomes or compromise the careful decision-making lawyers are required to do. So, there’s a strong business case, as well as a moral one, for considering staff mental health. This short booklet outlines the issues and is full of tips for supporting staff and changing the culture. It includes:
- statistics around mental health in the workplace;
- developing mental health policies;
- getting senior leaders involved and committed;
- embedding wellbeing into the organisational culture;
- raising awareness among colleagues;
- encouraging a healthy work/life balance, and the benefits of flexible working;
- investing in learning and development;
- encouraging mentoring and peer support;
- providing good supervision;
- tips for talking about mental health with a colleague;
- places to go for further help.
It’s a comprehensive but accessible starting point – and is a part ofto help you take things further.